September 20, 2021
Dear School Families,
On September 17, 2021, the Government of Saskatchewan implemented a Public Health Order that includes specific directives for schools that support Regina Public Schools safety protocols, including the requirement of mask use in all our schools and facilities.
The following new Government of Saskatchewan requirements help clarify and explain how your school administration will respond and communicate with parents when there is a case of COVID-19 in the school.
- Public Health is responsible for determining who is considered a close contact in a classroom or on student transportation. They will work with information from school and division administration, so it is important that parents communicate with their school if a student is to be absent.
- The school will distribute letters from the SHA to all students who are determined to be close contacts. These letters will include important information, such as how long the student may need to self-isolate or self-monitor.
- Fully vaccinated close contact students who wish to participate in extra curricular or after school activities must first show evidence of vaccination to the school principal. Acceptable evidence is an official SHA vaccination card (provided at time of vaccination) or a printout from MySaskHealthRecord that includes the student’s name and vaccination information.
- Unvaccinated close contact students are exempt from self-isolation, for the purpose of education ONLY. They MUST only attend school for classroom learning purposes. They must wear a mask at all times, including during outdoor recess.
- Unvaccinated close contacts will not be permitted to participate in extracurricular activities for the duration of their self-isolation period.
The Saskatchewan Government announcement can be found here or https://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/news-and-media/2021/september/16/province-implements-interim-mandatory-masking-effective-september-17-proof-of-vaccination-requiremen
The Saskatchewan Health Authority continues to hold vaccination clinics. Locations and times are listed here or https://www.saskhealthauthority.ca/your-health/conditions-diseases-services/all-z/covid-19-saskatchewan/covid-19-vaccine-clinics If there will be a clinic held in a school community, we will also inform that community on Twitter.
Thank you for your ongoing support and patience while we work to keep our students and staff safe. Please remember to keep students home if they are not feeling well and to inform the school of any absence.
Director of Education